Year 2000

Well, we've made it to the year 2000. The time when everything about the climate went real crazy.

And we begin this tale with the fall of the year 2000. That fall, there was a whole lot of rain in the East of Norway,

and it flooded like crazy in the South and the East. During that time, I used to ride my bike to and from school,

against all odds, every day in pouring rain. It rained so much that the good ol' Akerselva river overflowed its banks.

And I remember that during that time, I went with my mom and dad on a trip along both the Akerselva river and a

river called Stokkerelva, through a noble deciduous forest reserve, right below where we lived.


Things weren't looking good this time; it really flooded, and despite the warnings, people all over the globe started

changing their views on climate with something else. In the USA, for example, George W. Bush was replaced by

the more democratic Bill Clinton, instead of Al Gore, who, among other things, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006

for his film "An Inconvenient Truth." Earlier in the year 2000, I also remember that the Taliban regime in Afghanistan

blew up some beautiful ancient Buddha statues that were thousands of years old. This was the prelude to something

scary.


And I would be proven right because in September of the year 2001, exactly three days after my 14th birthday,

the Taliban and the so-called Al Qaeda network attacked the USA with two passenger planes crashing into the World

Trade Center, one plane directly into the Pentagon, and a fourth one hitting a field in Pennsylvania. The summer

before this happened, I was also about to experience something dreadful; I was on the verge of dying from sleep deprivation.

Much of it was probably due to my diagnosis and being in a sensitive and risky period of my life. Back then, I was

misdiagnosed because nobody had figured out what my diagnosis was and they thought it was something else.

During that summer, I had three psychotic episodes after falling ill at the end of June. The last and worst one came

right after the intense impressions of September 11th, three days after my birthday. During that time, in the fall of

2001 and even more so throughout the 2000s, I became more and more tired and unwell in line with the climate

changes. In the 2000s, there were more and worse autumn storms. For example, the extreme rainfall on the west coast

in the fall of 2005 caused the Hatlestadraset in Hatlestad Terrasse in the Fana district. But perhaps the most important

thing was that sometimes it could stop raining and blowing, because I can remember that it was extremely hot at

times during this period. In September and October, temperatures reached up to 20 degrees Celsius with sunny

weather.


In the 2000s, South and East Norway no longer had nice summers. Sometimes it rained so much it poured,

while in Northern Norway, it was extremely hot at times, with summer temperatures already in late autumn.

I can also mention that I did a lot of skiing in the 2000s. It may sound strange considering that the planet was

also warming up and the ice was disappearing. But this was probably due to the heavy rain on Svalbard and

the North Pole, and the low-pressure systems lined up here to be cooled down by the cold polar high-pressure

systems around the North Pole. This resulted in South and East Norway, and even Southern and Central Europe

(and maybe even the Sahara) getting lots of snow, which is quite unusual).

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

1800 - 1960

The Great Auk

Points of how we can reduce the global warming